More than 18 million men in the United States over age 20 suffer from erectile dysfunction. There are many varying causes of this along with several erectile dysfunction treatment options available per your specific needs. Here’s what you should know!
The brain plays a key role in triggering the series of physical events that cause an erection, starting with feelings of sexual excitement.Many different things can interfere with feelings of sexual excitement including:
- Relationship problems due to stress
These issues are estimated to cause between 10 to 20% of all erectile dysfunction cases.
More often than not, ED is triggered by something physical. Common examples include:
- Heart disease
- Clogged blood vessels, high blood pressure, high cholesterol
- Diabetes. ED tends to develop 10 to 15 years earlier in diabetic men than nondiabetic men
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Being a smoker — if a man smokes more than one pack of cigarettes per day, they have a 50% higher chance of erectile problems than those who do not.
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries affecting spinal cord or pelvic area
- Prescription medication side effects
Additionally, the symptoms of ED involve:
- Trouble getting an erection
- Trouble keeping an erection
- Premature ejacuation
- Reduced sexual desire.
Generally, there is a stigma surrounding ED as it is estimated that only one-third of men who have erectile dysfunctions seek help and advice about their problems. Consult your doctor to discuss a regime plan, as there are many erectile dysfunction treatment options to choose from based on your personal preference and needs.
Don’t keep yourself in the dark when it comes to being educated on erectile dysfunction. If you have any questions, make sure to contact your doctor to come up with a specialized treatment plan just for you.